Hot Sheet: Steaming Hot Outfest
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 11 2014 5:21 PM ET
7. THEATER: Buyer & Cellar
This might just be the gayest show we’ve ever heard of. Out actor Michael Urie stars as a struggling gay thespian who gets a job at the shopping center in Barbra Streisand’s basement (and yes, in reality, her estate has an underground reproduction of a quaint small-town main street). He ends up having a series of surreal encounters with the icon, and he tells us all about them in this play by Jonathan Tolins. A hit that’s been playing off-Broadway for nearly a year, Buyer & Cellar kicked off its national tour in Chicago in May, and it just opened for a run at Los Angeles’s Mark Taper Forum, where it continues through August 17. After that there are planned engagements in San Francisco, Dallas, and Toronto, while the New York production, with Barrett Foa stepping into Urie’s shoes, will be playing through July 27. Order tickets for the L.A. run here and get info on other tour stops and the New York performance schedule at BuyerAndCellar.com. — Trudy Ring
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Marriage Decision: 'No Need For Us to Rush'
- WATCH: Antigay Billboard Sparks Controversy in Tenn.