Ruffling Some (Peacock) Feathers
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 01 2010 5:25 PM ET
With almost 3 million views on YouTube, Ryan James Yezak’s "California Gays" has become one of this summer’s biggest Internet sensations. Now, he’s back with another Katy Perry parody — this time taking on the scandalous song “Peacock” off her new album, Teenage Dream. The video, proclaimed by Perry on Twitter as “Jaw Droppin’,” serves it to us with a healthy dose of scantily clad bellhops and football players. And yes, even a live peacock, straight from Ventura County.
The Advocate: So "Peacock" has over 130,000 views in just two days. Was it the millions of views as well as Katy Perry’s enthusiastic response to "California Gays" that made you decide to do another one of her songs this time around?
Ryan James Yezak: Yeah, it was. And I happened to run into one of her music-video producers on the Fourth of July in Laguna Beach, and he told me about “Peacock.” He said, “This song is going to be hot. It’s going to be a gay anthem.” So right away I was like, “OK, let’s do it!”
Obviously the production value has increased. Between new camera equipment, location shoots, and costumes, is it safe to say the success of “California Gays” helped with this?
Oh, yeah. The problem I have is that depending on the success of my previous videos, I’m one of those people who have to outdo myself, or try to at least. I like to entertain, so I’m like, “Oh, crap. How do I top that?” In order to bring the vision for this video to life I had to have a bigger budget. Before, I had come up with these concepts that didn’t require locations and could just be done on the beach, and here or there. So If I can’t bring it to life correctly, then I can’t do it. So in order for me to do that I have to have more money and better equipment.
And a live peacock.
[Laughs] Yes, a live peacock! Had to have that, you know. It just completed it.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 51 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 59 min 43 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 1 hour 16 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 1 hour 27 min ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 1 hour 31 min ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 47 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 51 min ago