Miss Pennsylvania Quits Over Transgender Decision, Says Contest is Rigged
BY Michelle Garcia
June 06 2012 4:13 PM ET
After the Miss Universe organization announced that the competition is open to transgender women, Miss Pennsylvania returned her crown, saying the contest is "rigged."
Sheena Monnin, Miss Pennsylvania, wrote on Facebook that she no longer wanted to be part of the competition because the judges had already chosen the top 5 finalists before the telecast on Sunday evening. "In my heart I believe in honesty, fair play, a fair opportunity, and high moral integrity, none of which in my opinion are part of this pageant system any longer," she wrote according to the Associated Press.
Donald Trump, who runs the Miss Universe Organization, said Monin's claims were false and threatened to sue Monin for making publicly false claims.
Meanwhile pageant organizers said Monin actually resigned because of the decision to allow transgender contestants into the competition after a row with Jenna Talackova, a transgender Miss Universe Canada contender. Still, Trump disputes that, even though one of the pageant organizers has email evidence of Monin's problem.
"I don’t think that she had an issue with that," Trump said. "I think her primary issue is that she lost and she’s angry about losing. And frankly, in my opinion, I saw her barely a second and she didn’t deserve to be in the top 15."
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Game Developers Conference Tackles LGBT Representation in Video Games
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM