June 'Mama' Shannon on Raising a Gay Child
BY Jase Peeples
April 15 2013 4:59 PM ET
At the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards on March 16, Here Comes Honey Boo Boo star June “Mama” Shannon was asked how she’d react if her daughter were to come out as gay. “I would still love her unconditionally,” Shannon told Charlotte Robinson, host of Outtake Voices. “That’s my child and I would love her regardless.”
Several other celebrity moms were also in attendance, including Nicole “Snookie” Polizzi (Jersey Shore), Countess LuAnn de Lesseps (The Real Housewives of New York City), and Milla Jovovich, who revealed she would also embrace her daughter regardless of her sexuality. “You know, for me personally I have zero tolerance for any kind of discrimination,” Jovovich said. “Whether it’s racial, religious, sexual preference, we all deserve our civil rights. And now, as a mother,it’s even more important to me because if my daughter says to me in 10 or 15 years, ‘Mom, I’m gay,’ I want to know that she’s growing up in a world that supports her and is not going to make her feel less of a human being or someone to discriminate against her; that my daughter is able to be proud and hold her head high with her partner and feel like a normal person in this world and be respected.”
The 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards were held at the Marriott Marquis Theater March 16 in New York City, with additional awards to be presented in Los Angeles April 20 and San Francisco May 11.
Hear the full red carpet interview montage at OUTTAKE VOICES.
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust