Thom Bierdz Coming Home
BY Michael Fairman
May 18 2009 11:00 PM ET
How is working with your on-screen mom, Jess Walton (Jill)? She told me she is relishing playing "The Bitch" again! I love Jess Walton. And in watching her in it, I am glad she is too. She has such fire, and she is so sweet in real life, ya know.
What was your take on Proposition 8, when it passed? I am not sure how I feel about marriage, but that is beside the point. I think very soon gay people will have all the rights that gay people should have, and we have made a lot of progress. I think in the next couple of years, with the younger generation, we are not going to have to deal with the homophobia like we did before. I think the resistance is just dying off.
Do you feel now that you're out as a gay man in acting that you feel better about yourself than you did, let's say, five or 10 years ago? Last year, I was walking around my place, and even though I was doing really well in art sales, I was getting jealous of other actors that were doing significant rolesâ€¦ and they were out gay actors. Then a month later, someone called me out of the blue and had cast me in the lead of this gay love story. I was so excited to pursue this, and it fell through and it never happened! That whet my appetite again, and I thought, You know what? There is so much I have not given on the screen that I now feel today that I can really give.
In closing, since everyone sees you as the heartthrob and you are so good-looking, do you see yourself as that? Gay men struggle with this all the time. I think that's all subjective. I did not find myself attractive as a young person in my 20s and in my 30s, and I did have some cosmetic work done. I had my ears pinned back. I had liposuction, and I had some silicone put in my jaw because I wanted to look stronger. I wanted to look more like a man. I was just at the gym two hours ago and I was working out, and I still don't like the way I look. But what can you do about it? I don't know.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 46 min 31 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM