Thom Bierdz Coming Home
BY Michael Fairman
May 19 2009 12:00 AM ET
How is working with your on-screen mom, Jess Walton (Jill)? She told me she is relishing playing "The Bitch" again! I love Jess Walton. And in watching her in it, I am glad she is too. She has such fire, and she is so sweet in real life, ya know.
What was your take on Proposition 8, when it passed? I am not sure how I feel about marriage, but that is beside the point. I think very soon gay people will have all the rights that gay people should have, and we have made a lot of progress. I think in the next couple of years, with the younger generation, we are not going to have to deal with the homophobia like we did before. I think the resistance is just dying off.
Do you feel now that you're out as a gay man in acting that you feel better about yourself than you did, let's say, five or 10 years ago? Last year, I was walking around my place, and even though I was doing really well in art sales, I was getting jealous of other actors that were doing significant rolesâ€¦ and they were out gay actors. Then a month later, someone called me out of the blue and had cast me in the lead of this gay love story. I was so excited to pursue this, and it fell through and it never happened! That whet my appetite again, and I thought, You know what? There is so much I have not given on the screen that I now feel today that I can really give.
In closing, since everyone sees you as the heartthrob and you are so good-looking, do you see yourself as that? Gay men struggle with this all the time. I think that's all subjective. I did not find myself attractive as a young person in my 20s and in my 30s, and I did have some cosmetic work done. I had my ears pinned back. I had liposuction, and I had some silicone put in my jaw because I wanted to look stronger. I wanted to look more like a man. I was just at the gym two hours ago and I was working out, and I still don't like the way I look. But what can you do about it? I don't know.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM