BY Brandon Voss
January 07 2010 5:15 PM ET
Why do you think gay men are so visible in the hair industry?
Because there is an artistic flair to it. If you have creativity, going into something like graphic design or interior design might not be for you if you don’t have that natural ability, but learning how to do hair is always great. Let’s face it: What gay man doesn’t love to dress up a woman or make her look pretty?
From what I’ve gathered from various lesbian websites, the ladies are happy you’re helping quash the stereotype that all lesbians wear flannel and rock mullets. Are you proud to show America that lesbians do have style?
I am, actually, so I embrace that support. I once had someone tell me that they didn’t know I was a lesbian because I was so fashionable.
While watching the Chicago Male episode with a large group of gay guys, I was surprised at how many of them didn’t know you were a lesbian either. At one point in the episode you talked about being a part of the gay community, which was the first time I could remember you addressing your sexuality on the show.
I have never, ever hidden my sexuality, because to me being a lesbian is like having blue eyes. I just don’t feel like talking about my personal life is appropriate on my show, because I’m there to help other people’s businesses. So it was probably the first time I addressed it only because the situation had come up where the owner, Scott, kept talking about his community and having a salon in Boystown. He was negating my community, which is the lesbian community, and he was also negating females in general, so it was a double whammy to me. I was really pissed off at him.
Your sexuality was never addressed on Shear Genius, yet you were out in the press while promoting the show. Were those conscious decisions on your part?
I always live truthfully. No, it didn’t come up on Shear Genius because it doesn’t pertain to the business or competitive situation. I didn’t need to walk around the competition every two seconds, going, “Look at me! I’m a lesbian!” And I never made a conscious decision to come out to the press because that’s just who I am. If people asked me a question, I’d just try to answer it honestly and to the best of my ability.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 17 min 46 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 51 min 33 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 54 min 27 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 1 hour 4 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 1 hour 6 min ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 12 min ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 1 hour 17 min ago