John Barrowman Promoted to Series Regular on Arrow
BY Patrick Yacco
May 17 2014 1:55 PM ET
The CW confirmed on Thursday that actor John Barrowman will join the cast of Arrow as a series regular starting this fall, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Barrowman stars as Malcom Merlyn, arch enemy of the show's protagonist, Oliver Queen, played by Stephen Amell. The out performer has portrayed Merlyn since Arrow's first season, and has made intermittent appearances on the program since then.
Before the news was officially announced, Amell tweeted a photograph of the duo at the CWs upfront presentation.
In addition to his work on Arrow, Barrowman is well known to fans of science fiction as Torchwood’s bisexual adventurer Captain Jack Harkness. That show was a spinoff of the wildly successful Doctor Who relaunch and secured Barrowman's place in geek fandom.
Barrowman and his partner Scott Gill, together for nearly 20 years, recently tied the knot in California. He has also been able to use his appearances at conventions as a platform for various LGBT issues, such as marriage equality.
Arrow returns to the CW for its third season this fall at 8 p.m. on Wednesdays.
— Stephen Amell (@amellywood) May 15, 2014
- Debunking Bill Cosby's Claim He Can Read Women's Desires, Accuser Comes Out As Lesbian
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- The 13 Biggest Trolls in Media
- Katelynn on Caitlyn: I Am Cait Through the Eyes of TV's First Trans Reality Star
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet