Minneapolis Hosts Bisexuality Conference
BY Eliel Cruz
June 03 2014 4:17 PM ET
This weekend, bisexual community leaders will be gathering in Minnesota for the annual Bisexuals Empowerment Conference, A Uniting Supportive Experience, hosted by the Bisexual Organizing Project.
This year's conference will take place June 6 through June 8, at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis campus.
The conference is the only nationwide gathering exclusively dedicated to empowering individuals who identify with fluid sexualities. BECAUSE bills itself as a meeting space for activists, researchers, community members, and even allies to discuss prominent topics concerning the bisexual community.
The BECAUSE conference has been meeting for more than 20 years, and is one of the largest gatherings of bisexual activists. The conference has built a strong reputation for its inclusive nature and the focus on personal testimonies of bisexual activists who feel excluded from LGBT conferences in which bi erasure or biphobia sometimes exists.
This year's keynote speakers are Mary Anne Mohanraj, author of Bodies In Motion, and ABilly S Jones-Hennin, who is the current chair of the Alliance of Multicultural Bisexuals. Find more information on the conference here.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Catholics: Antigay Leaders Get Boot, a Progressive Becomes American Archbishop
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs