Kiss-in Planned After Affectionate Gay Couple Kicked Out of Mall
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 3:18 PM ET
A gay couple kicked out of a California mall is being accused of "sexually explicit" acts — which has them outraged.
Daniel Chesmore and boyfriend Jose Guzman say that, at most, they shared a kiss on the cheek, a hug, and held hands while at the Westfield Galleria in Roseville, California. But the mall says it went further, without outlining what supposedly happened, and insists "There is no basis for the claim that this incident was prompted by the sexual orientation of the individuals."
"Westfield welcomes our community and we do not discriminate based on gender, race, age, sexual orientation and so forth," according to a statement reported by Fox 40 TV, which broke the story. "Simple displays of affection including kissing or hand holding are not an issue. In this case, the couple was violating the rules and the security officer requested the sexually explicit conduct be stopped."
Chesmore told Fox 40 TV the accusation "sickens me" and called it "absolutely absurd." A kiss-in protest is planned on Saturday at 11 a.m. outside the mall's Starbucks, according to the Sacramento Bee.
Watch the original report from Fox 40 TV on the following page.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: Cyndi Lauper and Friends Work to Bring LGBT Homeless Youth Home for the Holidays
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM