Kiss-in Planned After Affectionate Gay Couple Kicked Out of Mall
BY Lucas Grindley
March 06 2013 4:18 PM ET
A gay couple kicked out of a California mall is being accused of "sexually explicit" acts — which has them outraged.
Daniel Chesmore and boyfriend Jose Guzman say that, at most, they shared a kiss on the cheek, a hug, and held hands while at the Westfield Galleria in Roseville, California. But the mall says it went further, without outlining what supposedly happened, and insists "There is no basis for the claim that this incident was prompted by the sexual orientation of the individuals."
"Westfield welcomes our community and we do not discriminate based on gender, race, age, sexual orientation and so forth," according to a statement reported by Fox 40 TV, which broke the story. "Simple displays of affection including kissing or hand holding are not an issue. In this case, the couple was violating the rules and the security officer requested the sexually explicit conduct be stopped."
Chesmore told Fox 40 TV the accusation "sickens me" and called it "absolutely absurd." A kiss-in protest is planned on Saturday at 11 a.m. outside the mall's Starbucks, according to the Sacramento Bee.
Watch the original report from Fox 40 TV on the following page.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 53 min 28 sec ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 6 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM