Peter Thiel Makes $400 Million From Original Facebook Investment
BY Michelle Garcia
August 21 2012 12:30 PM ET
PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel has reportedly sold 20.6 million Class A Facebook shares, earning him approximately $400 million on his original $500,000 investment.
Thiel, who is gay, owned 9 million Class B shares from his original investment in Facebook several years ago, according to Tech Crunch. Facebook was founded in 2004, and Thiel appears to have invested within the company's first year.
He recently had the shares converted to Class A, signaling that he may sell off his investment. The sale occurred days after the offical "lockup," prohibiting sales of the stock for a short period of time after the company went public in May at $38 per share. The price has since dropped by half.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently told employees that the company's sinking stock price has been "painful." It was introduced Thiel, who still sits on the board of directors for Facebook, appears to have made the investment on behalf of the Founders Fund.
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 1 hour 49 min ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM