Peter Thiel Makes $400 Million From Original Facebook Investment
BY Michelle Garcia
August 21 2012 1:30 PM ET
PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel has reportedly sold 20.6 million Class A Facebook shares, earning him approximately $400 million on his original $500,000 investment.
Thiel, who is gay, owned 9 million Class B shares from his original investment in Facebook several years ago, according to Tech Crunch. Facebook was founded in 2004, and Thiel appears to have invested within the company's first year.
He recently had the shares converted to Class A, signaling that he may sell off his investment. The sale occurred days after the offical "lockup," prohibiting sales of the stock for a short period of time after the company went public in May at $38 per share. The price has since dropped by half.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg recently told employees that the company's sinking stock price has been "painful." It was introduced Thiel, who still sits on the board of directors for Facebook, appears to have made the investment on behalf of the Founders Fund.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 22 min 53 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 1 hour 44 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 2 hours 2 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 2 hours 8 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 2 hours 24 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 35 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 5:06 PM