#TBT: Famous Moments On the Wrong Side of History
BY Christopher Harrity
July 31 2014 4:00 AM ET
Above: Dan Quayle speaks, and reacts to Murphy Brown.
What About the Children?: Dan Quayle Speaks Out for the Welfare of Fictional Characters
In Murphy Brown's 1991–92 season, Murphy (played by Candace Bergen) became pregnant. At the point where the character was about to give birth, Murphy had stated that "several people do not want me to have the baby. Pat Robertson; Phyllis Schlafly; half of Utah!" Out of the mouths of actresses…. On May 19, 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle spoke at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco. During his speech, he criticized the Murphy Brown character for "ignoring the importance of fathers by birthing a child alone." The following national debate, media coverage, and inclusion of Quayle's comments in the plot of the show resulted in a fresh view on the diversity of families in America.
Below: Murphy Brown, with child.
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Newlywed Photos That Will Make Kim Davis's Head Spin
- Kim Davis to Appeal Contempt Ruling
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series
- WATCH: Steve Grand Is Going to Be This Marine's Date to Marine Ball