#TBT: Famous Moments On the Wrong Side of History
BY Christopher Harrity
July 31 2014 4:00 AM ET
Coffee of Ill Repute and the Starbucks Slut
A few years ago, Starbucks reintroduced their siren logo, a mermaid of sorts with a flayed tail. The logo is based on an old sixteenth-century Norse woodcut: a two-tailed mermaid, or siren, encircled by the store’s original name. Room for milk with your Christian backlash? In a Mother Jones article we get this fervid quote: "The Starbucks logo has a naked woman on it with her legs spread like a prostitute," explains alarmist Mark Dice, of a Christian group called The Resistance. "Need I say more? It's extremely poor taste, and the company might as well call themselves Slutbucks." May we suggest a calming herbal tea, Mr. Dice?
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- Hot Sheet: Openly Serving, Openly Loving
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media