#TBT: Famous Moments On the Wrong Side of History
BY Christopher Harrity
July 31 2014 4:00 AM ET
Coffee of Ill Repute and the Starbucks Slut
A few years ago, Starbucks reintroduced their siren logo, a mermaid of sorts with a flayed tail. The logo is based on an old sixteenth-century Norse woodcut: a two-tailed mermaid, or siren, encircled by the store’s original name. Room for milk with your Christian backlash? In a Mother Jones article we get this fervid quote: "The Starbucks logo has a naked woman on it with her legs spread like a prostitute," explains alarmist Mark Dice, of a Christian group called The Resistance. "Need I say more? It's extremely poor taste, and the company might as well call themselves Slutbucks." May we suggest a calming herbal tea, Mr. Dice?
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- Alabama's Antigay Judge Roy Moore Slapped With New Ethics Charges
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'