New cervical cancer guidelines say some women can skip Pap tests
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 19 2002 12:00 AM ET
The American Cancer Society, hoping to spare women from unnecessary medical procedures, this week announced new cervical cancer screening guidelines that say some women at low risk for the disease do not need to get Pap tests. The society's last guidelines, issued in 1987, recommended that all women at least 18 years old receive a Pap test and a pelvic exam yearly; the test could be performed less frequently if a woman had three consecutive normal exams.
The new guidelines say testing isn't needed at all for young women who are not sexually active, for women 70 or older who have had normal Pap tests in the past, and for women who have had hysterectomies. Sexually active women should begin getting Pap tests within three years of the start of sexual activity, but no later than age 21, according to the new guidelines. Newer types of Pap tests also allow women to be tested every two years instead of once per year. The goal is to "diminish the number of invasive procedures done to prove a woman doesn't have cancer," said Carmel Cohen, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center who led the society's review committee.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 48 min 23 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 48 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM