BY Advocate.com Editors
August 09 2002 11:00 PM ET
Thunderpuss DJ signs on for Disneyland party
DJ Chris Cox of the popular remix team Thunderpuss will be the featured talent at the first-ever gay dance party to be held within the Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., organizers have announced. Cox will spin at a five-hour party dubbed "Kingdom," scheduled for the night of Saturday, October 5, the centerpiece of an unofficial three-day gay and lesbian event at Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure theme parks. In addition to Cox, "several members of Disneyland royalty will greet guests as they enter the party," said a representative of Gay Day 2, the organizers of the weekend.
Last year--the first full weekend for Gay Day 2, which had been an unofficial one-day event for the three previous years--an estimated 12,000 gays and lesbians from California and across the country visited the theme parks, organizers said. The 2002 weekend begins with a free dance party, called "Wonderland," at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel on Friday, October 4, and continues with visits to Disneyland on October 5 and California Adventure on Sunday, October 6. The "mix in"--meaning gay and lesbian visitors will buy regular park admission tickets and mix with the parks' other patrons during regular park hours--is not officially sanctioned by Disney, although the company is renting out its Festival Arena within Disneyland for the Saturday night party.
Openly gay Los Angeles-based DJ Ray Rhodes and L.A. drag diva Momma will be featured at the Wonderland party on Friday.
Modeled after the longstanding "gay days" each June at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Fla., the Disneyland event encourages lesbian and gay park visitors to wear red shirts to identify one another and show strong numbers. Both days in the park will include scheduled gathering times for specific groups such as gay youth, gay families, and bears. For more information go to the Gay Day 2 Web site at www.gayday2.com.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 1 hour 31 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 1 hour 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM