California likely to uphold second-parent adoptions
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 08 2003 11:00 PM ET
The California supreme court on Wednesday appeared to be leaning toward upholding gay and lesbian couples' rights to second-parent adoptions, the Los Angeles Times reports. Such adoptions allow one parent to adopt a child without the biological parent relinquishing parental rights. In 1986 California became the first state in the nation to recognize such adoptions. Since then, thousands of gay and lesbian couples have taken advantage of such adoptions so that their children can be raised with two fully legal parents.
In 2001, however, a state appeals court in San Diego ruled that nothing in the state law permits second-parent adoption. The ruling came in the case of a lesbian couple, identified as Sharon S. and Annette F. in court documents. During their 10-year relationship, Sharon S. gave birth to a child whom Annette F. adopted through a second-parent adoption. Annette F. was in the process of going through a second-parent adoption for another child Sharon S. conceived through artificial insemination when the couple broke up. Sharon S. balked at allowing Annette F. to proceed with the adoption. A trial court initially sided with Annette F., but the appeals court came down on Sharon S.'s side, saying adoption cannot occur without the biological parent relinquishing parental rights.
During the supreme court hearing on Wednesday, however, several justices suggested that the appeals court had taken the wording of state law too literally. Justice Kathryn Mickle Werdeger said state law is merely "descriptive" of traditional adoptions, not prohibitive of an untraditional one. And Chief Justice Ronald M. George said that trial judges are in a better position than the appeals court to determine "the best interest of the child"--the legal test for approving adoption.
A ruling in the case is expected in 90 days.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 30 min 22 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 32 min 12 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 33 min 56 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 1 hour 34 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 1 hour 39 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 2 hours 25 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 2 hours 31 min ago