Big Gay Following: Bobby Cannavale
BY Brandon Voss
October 04 2007 11:00 PM ET
You’ve become a go-to guy for butch gay roles, like the closet cases you played in The Guru  and Shall We Dance? . Have you ever been asked to fem it up?
Ironically enough, the only time I’ve ever had a director tell me something like that was in The Most Fabulous Story — in the opposite way. I was very nervous — in a Paul Rudnick play, every other character was so over-the-top, so I felt I needed to be in that group, when I really needed to be the opposite. That was a huge lesson for me: You can be perfectly butch, but if the part’s written well — like Vince in Will & Grace — we get it.
But you did get to queen out as a gay drug dealer on Oz.
Well, I came up with that character. I ran into [creator] Tom Fontana, who was like, “Hey, man, you gotta come on Oz before we finish up.” I happened to be reading Disco Bloodbath by James St. James because I had worked at the Tunnel years earlier and was kind of fascinated by [club owner] Peter Gatien, so I was deep into it when I started thinking about this character. I had this idea to combine a Michael Alig/James St. James type with Peter Gatien, so he could come in and run the show — with one eye like Gatien, but I don’t think anybody got that but me.
When you played Vince, did you receive letters from gay cops that you inspired to come out?
I’m going to tell you something that’s going to come off really awful. Hopefully this is going well, and you won’t think I’m a total douche bag. I get a lot of mail, but I don’t read it. I know that’s fucked up, but you know what? I don’t need to read a bunch of letters telling me how great I am, the same way I don’t need to have my Emmy in my apartment. That’s why it’s at my mother’s. I don’t need to wake up and see that shit every day and go, “I’m the best!”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 1 hour 45 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 2 hours 49 min ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM