LGBT High School Opens in Phoenix
BY Michelle Garcia
April 11 2012 5:16 PM ET
Phoenix, Ariz., opened the doors to the state's first high schools targeted toward LGBT students last month. Q High joins just a handful of other LGBT-geared high schools across the country.
"Everyone here is open and welcoming," Tyler, a junior, told a local ABC affiliate. "Everyone says hi, everyone wants to know you."
The school operates mainly as a Arizona Virtual Academy, so students take academic classes online. The school also operates as a youth center that provides resources for LGBT youth, including a class on coming out. Currently 14 students are enrolled, but the facility can handle 25 students.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'