LGBT High School Opens in Phoenix
BY Michelle Garcia
April 11 2012 5:16 PM ET
Phoenix, Ariz., opened the doors to the state's first high schools targeted toward LGBT students last month. Q High joins just a handful of other LGBT-geared high schools across the country.
"Everyone here is open and welcoming," Tyler, a junior, told a local ABC affiliate. "Everyone says hi, everyone wants to know you."
The school operates mainly as a Arizona Virtual Academy, so students take academic classes online. The school also operates as a youth center that provides resources for LGBT youth, including a class on coming out. Currently 14 students are enrolled, but the facility can handle 25 students.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- Gallery of Geek: J. Bone
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples
- Madonna's 12 Studio Albums Ranked