BY Michelle Garcia
November 05 2009 1:25 PM ET
View cohost Whoopi Goldberg asked megachuch pastor Joel Osteen
whether gay people are welcome at his Lakewood Church in Houston.
Osteen said he welcomes people of different religions and sexual
orientations, but that "homosexuality is not God's best."
Osteen added that he loves everyone, that some of his closest friends are gay, and that they tend to be "some of the nicest people in the world."
Joy Behar, who also has her own show on CNN Headline News, asked Osteen whether he thinks homosexuality is a choice. "It's not something you pick to be, because it's very difficult to be gay in this society," she said.
"I know it isn't, but I try to love them and treat them with respect," Osteen said.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 20 min 5 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 1 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 6 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 24 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM