BY Michelle Garcia
November 05 2009 1:25 PM ET
View cohost Whoopi Goldberg asked megachuch pastor Joel Osteen
whether gay people are welcome at his Lakewood Church in Houston.
Osteen said he welcomes people of different religions and sexual
orientations, but that "homosexuality is not God's best."
Osteen added that he loves everyone, that some of his closest friends are gay, and that they tend to be "some of the nicest people in the world."
Joy Behar, who also has her own show on CNN Headline News, asked Osteen whether he thinks homosexuality is a choice. "It's not something you pick to be, because it's very difficult to be gay in this society," she said.
"I know it isn't, but I try to love them and treat them with respect," Osteen said.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 19 min 16 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 1 hour 3 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 21 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 34 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 55 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 2 hours 14 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 21 min ago