BY Michelle Garcia
November 05 2009 1:25 PM ET
View cohost Whoopi Goldberg asked megachuch pastor Joel Osteen
whether gay people are welcome at his Lakewood Church in Houston.
Osteen said he welcomes people of different religions and sexual
orientations, but that "homosexuality is not God's best."
Osteen added that he loves everyone, that some of his closest friends are gay, and that they tend to be "some of the nicest people in the world."
Joy Behar, who also has her own show on CNN Headline News, asked Osteen whether he thinks homosexuality is a choice. "It's not something you pick to be, because it's very difficult to be gay in this society," she said.
"I know it isn't, but I try to love them and treat them with respect," Osteen said.
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- WATCH: Stonewall Movie Drops First Trailer