BY Michelle Garcia
December 11 2009 4:30 PM ET
After a unanimous decision by the Nevada board of health, male prostitutes are now legally allowed to work in brothels. The state decided on Friday to change health codes so that male sex workers can be tested for infectious diseases, a stipulation for brothel workers in Nevada, according to the Las Vegas Sun.
Men were previously barred from sex work in brothels because the codes specified that prostitutes must undergo "cervical" testing for STDs. Brothel owner Bobbi Davis, from the Shady Lady Ranch, wanted to add men to her slate of prostitutes, requiring she file a request for the policy to be changed. Her business will offer services from men -- who can decide whether they want to take on male or female clients — starting in January.
The state board of health will now add urethral exams to the guidelines, allowing all prostitutes — male and female — to be tested for diseases.
George Flint, a lobbyist for the Nevada Brothel Owners Association, said he "reluctantly" agreed to the change because he couldn't oppose regulation for one gender and not the other. He underscored that he was worried about HIV transmission between prostitutes and clients, though the industry has had a strong track record in preventing the virus's spread.
“We’ve worked hard for years to make the traditional brothel business in this state socially acceptable and something we can be proud of that most Nevadans accept,” Flint added. “We have some concerns that this can be diluted by what Ms. Bobbi Davis wants to try.”
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 51 min 9 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM