BY Michelle Garcia
January 24 2010 10:17 PM ET
A constitutional ban on gay marriage in Indiana is one step closer to fruition after a state senate committee voted 6-4 to advance it to a full senate hearing.
Republican Carlin Yoder introduced a resolution in the senate judiciary committee that "only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana." Yoder, an administrator at a Christian school, defended his motion to the committee on Wednesday, according to the South Bend Tribune.
"This is not in any way an attack on the gay and lesbian community," he said. "By doing this, we are not taking away any rights from the gay and lesbian community in Indiana."
The state already has a statutory ban on marriage equality and does not have any statewide legal recognition for same-sex couples. However, Yoder's proposed measure would enshrine the ban in the state constitution.
Sen. John Broden, a Democrat, said he voted against the measure because the law already banned gay marriage. He also said that the constitutional ban sends the message that "only certain people are welcome" in the state, which would hinder businesses from recruiting employees from other states.
According to the report, five people spoke to the committee in favor of the ban, while nine spoke in opposition. A small group assembled outside of the senate chamber with signs voicing their opposition to the measure.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 1 hour 26 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM