BY Kerry Eleveld
February 02 2010 5:05 PM ET
Levin added that he had not had any further
guidance from the White House about the way forward other than the
president’s proclamation in his State of the Union speech.
The results of the hearing were met with a combination of optimism and trepidation by supporters of repeal.
strongly applaud Secretary Gates supporting the president's view that DADT
needs to go. It's a matter of when and how, he said, not if,” said
Aubrey Sarvis, executive director of the Servicemembers Legal Defense
“Admiral Mullen’s remarks went far beyond what he
needed to do in this context,” said Alex Nicholson, executive director
of Servicemembers United.
But other repeal
advocates worried about a lengthy time line for the rollout and noted
the policy has already been analyzed thoroughly for years.
issue has been studied for 50 years and the Palm Center released a memo
today footnoting no less 20 studies — including the military’s own
study — which all said openly gay service works,” said Nathaniel
Frank, a senior fellow at the Palm Center, a think tank that studies
sexual minorities in the military. “But they didn’t read the studies,
they buried them, and that’s what they are going to do this time.”
others, the secretary of the Navy commissioned a report in 1957 that became
known as the Crittenden Report; in 1993, Rand Corp. researchers
at the National Defense Research Institute, a think tank founded by the
Air Force, completed a study commissioned by Defense secretary Les
Aspin; a bipartisan panel of retired flag officers released a report in
1998 that Gen. John Shalikashvili called “one of the most comprehensive
evaluations” of the issue since the Rand study; and just last year the
Joint Force Quarterly, a top military journal published for the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, published a study titled “The
Efficacy of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’” written by Col. Om Prakash, an
active duty officer in the Air Force.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 23 min 9 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 31 min 4 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM