BY Neal Broverman
March 29 2010 1:35 PM ET
Peter Tatchell, the head of the U.K.-based gay advocacy group OutRage!, was one of about 50 protesters on Sunday calling for Pope Benedict XVI's resignation outside London's Westminster Cathedral.
The protest was held in response to accusations that Benedict, during the years he served as a cardinal, did not take action against numerous reports of priests molesting children.
Participants in Sunday's protest, including gay and women's rights activists, blasted Benedict, calling him a "protector of pedophile priests" and "an accomplice to sex crimes." They not only demanded the Pope step down, but that he be prosecuted for allowing child abuse.
According to a press release from Tatchell, the protesters were met "with a mixture of jeers and support from Catholic congregants leaving the Cathedral after Palm Sunday mass." Tatchell also wants the papal visit to Britain, scheduled for sometime this year, canceled.
Read the full story here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 min 51 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 6 min 36 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 28 min 29 sec ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 31 min 52 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 57 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 52 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM