Gays Reassess After GOP Gains
BY Kerry Eleveld
November 02 2010 8:40 PM ET
Richard Socarides, who
was working in the Clinton White House during the 1994 election when
Democrats took a big hit in the midterms, said he didn’t see the night so much in
“I think people too often make the mistake of looking to previous
administrations for lessons in how to deal with present-day problems,”
he said, adding that the ’94 comparison wasn’t particularly
instructive to him.
“The voters sent several messages tonight,
but one is clearly that they are tired of the highly politicized
partisan battles that go on nonstop in Washington,” he said. “The
important thing for Obama to do now is to say, ‘I got the message loud
and clear, and I’m ready to work with others in governing.’”
said the Democrats’ “big strategic mistake” on LGBT issues was failing to push
through DADT repeal and maybe even ENDA in 2009 while they were taking
an entire year to shepherd health care reform.
But from a broader perspective, he added that White House insiders had been too insular, even with people in their own party.
you were not part of the Chicago group and there from the beginning,
they weren’t really interested in your ideas; it didn’t matter what
party you were from,” he said.
But he said the LGBT movement also had some takeaways from the last two years.
have to press our enemies and press our friends harder,” he said, “and
also we all need to work together. This snarky infighting that goes on
amongst our side just does not do us any good.”
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Affordable Care Act
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM