Tex. House Works to Kill College LGBT Centers
BY Neal Broverman
April 25 2011 8:47 PM ET
In a round-about effort to end governmental support for
LGBT centers on public college campuses, the Texas house of
representatives passed a budget provision requiring any school
with a gay center to offer the same financial support to a "traditional
The Texas house passed the budget provision earlier this month by a 110-24 margin, reports Inside Higher Ed. If passed by the senate and signed into law by the governor, the legislation would require equal funding for promoting "family and traditional values." The group that worked with the bill's sponsor, Wayne Christian, is the Young Conservatives of Texas. The group's senior vice chairman, Tony McDonald, admits he hopes, if the bill passes, all public universities in Texas will defund LGBT centers rather than provide equal money for conservative centers — McDonald believed legislation to cut funding from gay centers was less likely to pass, so his group advocated for the "traditional values" centers.
McDonald told Inside Higher Ed that students "who want to promote a homosexual lifestyle" can do so "on their own time and with their own money."
Read the full story here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM