California Has More Than 50,000 Gay Parents
BY Lucas Grindley
June 23 2011 3:00 PM ET
More detailed information about where the country’s gayby boom is coming from was released today by the Williams Institute, with California naturally boasting a large population — 52,530 gay parents.
The institute’s numbers are based on Census information. In the survey, California reported 125,516 couples, 21% of which are raising children. That means that one of every five gay couples is parenting.
But in this round of data, it was Wyoming that actually reported the highest percentage – 28%. Of course, Wyoming had many fewer same-sex couples — only 1,147 in total.
Delaware reported 3,352 couples, 19% of which were raising children. Pennsylvania reported 33,602 couples, with 20% bringing up children. And Kansas reported 6,176 couples, with 26% raising children.
Earlier this month, Census data was released showing that the number of gay households raising children is dramatically on the increase. In the 2000 survey 8% of same-sex couples reported having an adopted child in their household. In 2010,that number jumped sharply, to 19% of couples.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM