Ireland to Elect Gay President?
BY Neal Broverman
July 21 2011 1:45 PM ET
Irish Independent senator and presidential candidate David Norris, who happens to be gay, comes out ahead in the nation’s latest polls.
The election is not until October, and Norris has not yet secured his party’s nomination, but many Irish are already leaning towards the 67-year-old gay rights activist and James Joyce scholar.
Norris won the support of 25% of likely Irish voters, four points ahead of the second most popular candidate. Norris gets much of his support from Dubliners, as well as those aged 35-49.
Should Norris be elected president of Ireland, he would be the first openly gay male to lead a nation.
Read more here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model