Ireland to Elect Gay President?
BY Neal Broverman
July 21 2011 2:45 PM ET
Irish Independent senator and presidential candidate David Norris, who happens to be gay, comes out ahead in the nation’s latest polls.
The election is not until October, and Norris has not yet secured his party’s nomination, but many Irish are already leaning towards the 67-year-old gay rights activist and James Joyce scholar.
Norris won the support of 25% of likely Irish voters, four points ahead of the second most popular candidate. Norris gets much of his support from Dubliners, as well as those aged 35-49.
Should Norris be elected president of Ireland, he would be the first openly gay male to lead a nation.
Read more here.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Pride for Days In San Francisco
- Arkansas County Clerk Resigns Over Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 21 Best (and Worst) Queer Movie Villains
- Here's How You Can Celebrate Trans Pride on Facebook, Too!
- Show Your Pride With A Rainbow Filter For Your Facebook Profile Pic