"Kill the Gays" Bill Isn't Dead, No Matter What Uganda's Cabinet Says
BY Lucas Grindley
August 22 2011 7:20 PM ET
The Ugandan cabinet made its clearest attempt yet to rid the legislative agenda of the "kill the gays" bill. But parliament's David Bahati isn't listening, potentially keeping the bill on a fast track toward passage.
The Daily Monitor reports today that the ruling party's lawyer, Adolf Mwesige, convinced cabinet ministers during a meeting Wednesday that the bill is unnecessary. Mwesige reportedly advised them to search the archives because other laws already criminalized homosexual acts.
Before the cabinet expressed its opinion, the bill had actually been on a faster track toward passage because lawmakers invoked a rules maneuver that lets them pick up where they left off during the previous session, when they ran out of time.
But Bahati, the member of parliament sponsoring the "kill the gays" bill, insisted the cabinet stay out of the parliament's business. Ugandan expert Warren Throckmorton reports on his blog that parliament spokeswoman Helen Kawesa said the bill "is in the parliament now. It’s parliament’s property.”
Throckmorton points out that the cabinet was similarly ignored in 2010, when a committee led by Mwesige recommended dismissing the bill. That triggered a spate of reports that prematurely declared the saga's end.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- Women WATCH: These Lesbians are 'Proud to Be Femme!' 1 min 40 sec ago
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 1 hour 8 min ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 1 hour 10 min ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 2 hours 17 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 2 hours 23 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 52 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 1:59 PM