San Antonio Votes to Provide DP Benefits to City Employees
BY Winston Gieseke
September 19 2011 4:10 PM ET
After nearly three hours of input from citizens — including protests from self-proclaimed Christians — the San Antonio, Texas, City Council passed a new budget Thursday that included domestic partner benefits for city employees.
The council voted 8-3 in favor of the proposal despite a monopolization of the meeting’s “Citizens to Be Heard” portion which was filled primarily with religious and moral objections, including one from a pastor who, according to DallasVoice.com, “displayed a picture of his infant grandchild who has only two teeth, saying his grandson had a better bite because the DP initiative was a toothless idea that was fraught with potential for fraud.”
Some of those opposed even threatened political retribution to the council members who voted in favor of the measure.
Mayor Julian Castro, who supported the proposal, said, “This is not a new issue — this should have be done some time ago.”
After the vote, Equality Texas put sent out an email news blast saying: “Today’s vote is an affirmation of the City Council’s belief that all San Antonians should be treated equally, with the dignity and respect they deserve. There was opposition. And, there will likely be negative backlash. As we move forward, let us remember that fairness and justice will always be in the best interests of our diverse communities.”
Read more here.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- A Letter to My Partners
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 24 min 28 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 31 min 17 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 34 min 18 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 56 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 9 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 22 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 25 min ago