Ellen Barkin: I Am Kind of a Butch Girl
BY Jeremy Kinser
November 18 2011 7:16 PM ET
Actress Ellen Barkin asks questions about the LGBT acronym and addresses her androgynous appeal while speaking with veteran writer Kevin Sessums.
During their interview to promote her acclaimed new film, Another Happy Day, Barkin discusses her romantic relationship with the film's director, Sam Levinson, who is 21 years her junior. Sessums, who is gay, jokes that Levinson, whom both consider androgynous, might be gay as well. Sessums immediately apologizes, which leads Barkin to inquire about the LGBT acronym.
"What year did gay get split into the sexes?" Barkin asks. "When I was young, gay was gay .. .I understand the blurry lines between the B and the T. What year did the lesbians decide they weren’t in the gay party?"
Sessums suggests that Levinson's androgyny and his female outlook provide a way for Barkin to get in touch with her own latent lesbianism.
"I don’t think I have to get in touch with any of those aspects of my personality or character," Barkin says. "I think it’s been done. That’s one of the fun things about doing this role — she was so much more feminine than I. I am kind of a butch girl, if you really think about it."
In June, Barkin won a Tony award for her performance in the LGBT-themed play The Normal Heart.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva May 23 2013 6:15 PM