Fred Karger Accuses CPAC of Illegal "No Gays Allowed" Policy
BY Lucas Grindley
February 02 2012 3:57 PM ET
Fred Karger filed a formal complaint Wednesday against the Conservative Political Action Conference, the major gathering of Republicans every year in Washington, which he claims has a "no gays allowed" policy.
Karger delivered a complaint to the D.C. Human Rights Commission, which enforces a 1977 law that bans any discrimination based on sexual orientation. Karger wants an exhibitor table at the conference this month but claims in the complaint that this year's event organizers are antigay.
"New [American Conservative Union] Chairman Al Cardenas announced after the 2011 CPAC that diversity would end, and caved in to the pressure and voted to 'realign plans for those who participate next year to exclude homosexual advocacy,'" Karger notes. "Translation — no gays allowed."
The first openly gay candidate ever to appear on a presidential ballot says in the complaint that he applied for a table back when the "early bird discount" was still available. But somehow he didn't get a spot, and CPAC organizers have said publicly that all the tables are now full.
Karger describes first exchanging emails with CPAC in November about purchasing a booth, sending in his application and then hearing nothing. He made repeated phone calls that went unanswered, and he still hasn't heard word even after threatening to file the legal complaint.
The conference begins February 9.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies 2 hours 22 min ago
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship 2 hours 48 min ago
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM