Fred Karger Accuses CPAC of Illegal "No Gays Allowed" Policy
BY Lucas Grindley
February 02 2012 3:57 PM ET
Fred Karger filed a formal complaint Wednesday against the Conservative Political Action Conference, the major gathering of Republicans every year in Washington, which he claims has a "no gays allowed" policy.
Karger delivered a complaint to the D.C. Human Rights Commission, which enforces a 1977 law that bans any discrimination based on sexual orientation. Karger wants an exhibitor table at the conference this month but claims in the complaint that this year's event organizers are antigay.
"New [American Conservative Union] Chairman Al Cardenas announced after the 2011 CPAC that diversity would end, and caved in to the pressure and voted to 'realign plans for those who participate next year to exclude homosexual advocacy,'" Karger notes. "Translation — no gays allowed."
The first openly gay candidate ever to appear on a presidential ballot says in the complaint that he applied for a table back when the "early bird discount" was still available. But somehow he didn't get a spot, and CPAC organizers have said publicly that all the tables are now full.
Karger describes first exchanging emails with CPAC in November about purchasing a booth, sending in his application and then hearing nothing. He made repeated phone calls that went unanswered, and he still hasn't heard word even after threatening to file the legal complaint.
The conference begins February 9.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 52 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 36 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 54 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM