GLAAD Toasts to Producers, Pariah, Lady Gaga, and
BY Michelle Garcia
March 25 2012 6:55 PM ET
The feature film Pariah and ABC's Dancing with the Stars were awarded with Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation awards on Saturday night in New York.
Smash producers Craig Zadan & Neil Meron received the prestigious Vito Russo Award, presented to them by Bernadette Peters and John Stamos. Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein honored openly gay 17-year-old anti-bullying advocate, Katy Butler, who has been lobbying the Motion Picture Association of America to lower the rating for the documentary Bully, so younger people may view it. Dee Rees's coming-of-age feature Pariah, starring Adepero Oduye and Kim Wayans, won outstanding feature film while Dancing With The Stars won outstanding reality television program. The Advocate and Out also shared a win for outstanding overall magazine coverage. The event was hosted by Glee’s Cory Monteith and Naya Rivera.
Additional categories will be presented at the GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles on April 21 and in San Francisco on June 2.
Also, check out video highlights of the event below.
The following is a list of all other award recipients announced at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Battle Against Bullying" ABC World News with Diane Sawyer (ABC) [accepted by: reporter Josh Elliott]
- Outstanding Magazine Article: TIE: "15th Anniversary of the Passage of the Defense of Marriage Act" (series) by Chris Geidner (Metro Weekly) [accepted by: Chris Geidner] and "Black & Gay in Corporate America" by Carolyn M. Brown (Black Enterprise) [accepted by: Carolyn M. Brown]
- Outstanding TV Movie Or Mini Series: Cinema Verite (HBO)
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: "Coming Out on the Oprah Show: 25 Years of Unforgettable Guests" The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
- Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine: "The 'Sissy Boy' Experiments" Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Led by the Child Who Simply Knew" by Bella English (The Boston Globe)
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Bruni (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The New York Times
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding Digital Journalism-Multimedia: "Injustice at Every Turn" (ITLMedia.org)
- Outstanding Blog: TIE: Mombian and Towleroad
- Outstanding Music Artist: Lady Gaga, Born This Way (Interscope Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Batwoman by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman (DC Comics)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theatre: No Word in Guyanese for Me by Wendy Graf
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Broadway & Off Broadway: The Intelligent Homosexual's Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures by Tony Kushner
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Off-Off Broadway: Southern Comfort book and lyrics by Dan Collins, music by Julianne Wick Davis
- Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: "Lesbianas celebran 10 años" Caso Cerrado (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Entrevista con Raquel Gómez y Mony Ruiz Velasco" Al Punto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism - Newsmagazine: "Asesino" Primer Impacto (Univision)
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Ángeles del cambio" Noticiero 34 (KMEX TV-34 [Los Angeles, Calif.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: TIE: "Casamiento e hijos biológicos para pareja gay hispana de EEUU" by Claudia Torrens ( Associated Press) and "Madre hay una sola, no necesariamente" by Virginia Gaglianone (La Opinión)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Nueva York la igualdad" by Michelle Oyola (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Las 7 señales de un niño transgénero" by Paula Andalo (Univision.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Ricky Martin, Música + Alma + Sexo (Sony Music Latin)
- Special Recognition: El Diario la Prensa
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room
- #TBT: The Massive, Masculine Art of Robert Riggs