640,000 Say Thanks to Starbucks
BY Michelle Garcia
April 05 2012 2:09 PM ET
National coffee chain Starbucks Wednesday received a card thanking
the company for its continued support of marriage equality in its home
state of Washington.
The National Organization for Marriage launched a boycott of Starbucks because the company's leaders supported marriage equality legislation that recently passed in Washington. NOM recruited about 28,000 to "Dump Starbucks," but a counterprotest to "Thank Starbucks" grabbed the attention of 640,000 marriage equality supporters.
The pro-Starbucks effort was organized by SumOfUs.org, MoveOn.org, and Washington United for Marriage, which submitted a card with 640,000 signatures at Starbucks' main corporate offices Wednesday.
“We’ve been stunned by the passionate response to 'Thank Starbucks' – our most viral campaign ever,” Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, executive director for SumofUs.org, said in a statement. “We’ve seen in our campaigns that consumers expect corporations to do right by their workers and by their community. We hope that this overwhelming show of support for Starbucks for supporting gay rights will inspire other corporations to keep making similar public statements.”
James Olsen, Starbucks’ vice president of global corporate communications, thanked customers for their support.
“We are long-standing supporters of a culture of diversity, and inclusion and equality for everybody, and I'll share this with our fellow leaders,” he said. “Thank you very much.”
Click through for more photos from the rally at Starbucks’ HQ.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Maddow to Putin: Ha! Take That!
- Antigay Archbishop Accused of Sexually Assaulting Minor
- Year in Review The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?' 5:00 AM
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM