Newsmakers of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 29 2010 11:45 AM ET
In 1977, Renée Richards became the first openly transgender athlete to play professional tennis. Decades later, little had changed when it came to the visibility of such athletes — until Kye Allums appeared on the scene. The George Washington University junior came out in November as transgender, becoming the first UCAA Division I athlete to do so. Allums has not yet taken hormones and continues to play on the women’s team — one that has shown fierce loyalty to their courageous colleague on the court.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Past '40 Under 40' Honorees Are Still Changing The World
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- 40 Under 40: Emerging Voices | Advocate.com
- Who Influences Our Influential 40 Under 40?