Newsmakers of the Year
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 29 2010 10:45 AM ET
In 1977, Renée Richards became the first openly transgender athlete to play professional tennis. Decades later, little had changed when it came to the visibility of such athletes — until Kye Allums appeared on the scene. The George Washington University junior came out in November as transgender, becoming the first UCAA Division I athlete to do so. Allums has not yet taken hormones and continues to play on the women’s team — one that has shown fierce loyalty to their courageous colleague on the court.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment