Image Shows Gay Activist Being Pummeled
BY Neal Broverman
May 21 2012 12:03 PM ET
A brutal attack by neo-Nazis on a gay rights leader in Ukraine was caught by photographers.
Svyatoslav Sheremet is the head of the Gay Forum of Ukraine. Sheremet's group was organizing a Pride festival in Kiev, but was prevented from doing so when rightwing extremists, including neo-Nazis, descended on the city. After Sheremet told the media that the festival was canceled due to the dangerous situation at hand, three Nazis attacked Sheremet. The men only stopped beating Sheremet when they realized their actions were being caught by the cameras of journalists. Sheremet was bloodied, but pictures show him standing upright after the beating.
Gay rights leaders expressed dismay at the failure of Kiev police to protect Sheremet and other gay activists who were attacked. Ukraine's parliament is meeting on Tuesday to discuss the violence and the nation's homophobic culture. Read more here.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 5 min 34 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 28 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 44 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 55 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 18 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 21 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 50 min ago