Image Shows Gay Activist Being Pummeled
BY Neal Broverman
May 21 2012 12:03 PM ET
A brutal attack by neo-Nazis on a gay rights leader in Ukraine was caught by photographers.
Svyatoslav Sheremet is the head of the Gay Forum of Ukraine. Sheremet's group was organizing a Pride festival in Kiev, but was prevented from doing so when rightwing extremists, including neo-Nazis, descended on the city. After Sheremet told the media that the festival was canceled due to the dangerous situation at hand, three Nazis attacked Sheremet. The men only stopped beating Sheremet when they realized their actions were being caught by the cameras of journalists. Sheremet was bloodied, but pictures show him standing upright after the beating.
Gay rights leaders expressed dismay at the failure of Kiev police to protect Sheremet and other gay activists who were attacked. Ukraine's parliament is meeting on Tuesday to discuss the violence and the nation's homophobic culture. Read more here.
- WATCH: This Indiana Pizzeria Won't Cater Gay Weddings
- More Celebs Tweet Off on Indiana
- WATCH: Conan's Hilarious Interview With Indiana's 'Religious Freedom Czar'
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- Ellen's 11 Most Uproarious, April Fool's-Approved Pranks
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion