Image Shows Gay Activist Being Pummeled
BY Neal Broverman
May 21 2012 11:03 AM ET
A brutal attack by neo-Nazis on a gay rights leader in Ukraine was caught by photographers.
Svyatoslav Sheremet is the head of the Gay Forum of Ukraine. Sheremet's group was organizing a Pride festival in Kiev, but was prevented from doing so when rightwing extremists, including neo-Nazis, descended on the city. After Sheremet told the media that the festival was canceled due to the dangerous situation at hand, three Nazis attacked Sheremet. The men only stopped beating Sheremet when they realized their actions were being caught by the cameras of journalists. Sheremet was bloodied, but pictures show him standing upright after the beating.
Gay rights leaders expressed dismay at the failure of Kiev police to protect Sheremet and other gay activists who were attacked. Ukraine's parliament is meeting on Tuesday to discuss the violence and the nation's homophobic culture. Read more here.
- Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-Ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful 0 sec ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 22 min 35 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 36 min 58 sec ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 54 min 55 sec ago
- Women Pussy Riot To Be Freed 1 hour 8 min ago
- Health New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Obamacare 2 hours 35 min ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 2 hours 42 min ago