We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 02 2013 4:00 AM ET
Photos by D. David Robinson © 2013, for use by The Advocate with this article only. All rights reserved. Subjects have approved use of images contained herein.
Kevin Aine Dismus, 29, founder of Rainbow Health Foundation Mbarara
My Catholic background is strong, and it was my dream to become a priest. But I knew early that I had a secret. I didn’t discover it — it discovered me. Eventually I chose to confide in a close friend. He betrayed me. News spread quickly in my boarding school, and suddenly I had no one.
One evening, I returned from studies and found a small note from my classmates on my bed: “We don’t befriend gay people. It’s against our religion.” My dream instantly fell away. In tears, I tossed the note on a burning pile of rubbish, faked sick and asked to go home.
Along the way, I bought five packets of rat poison. When I woke, vomiting black poison and blood, my family took me to a clinic — that is how I managed to survive.
To this day, my family thinks it was nerves about my exams that brought on the “sickness” — I was such a perfectionist in my studies. It took years before I accepted myself and came out to them and others. In 2011, I founded a refuge for LGBTI people in my hometown in rural western Uganda. Rainbow Health Foundation Mbarara wasn’t around for me, but it is now here for others.
- BREAKING: New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: 'Idiotic' or 'Important?'
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 11 min 58 sec ago
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 16 min 14 sec ago
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 20 min 52 sec ago
- Religion Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage 52 min 44 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Who's in the Mood for a Jennifer Lawrence / Butt Plug story? 58 min 26 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Out Sochi Olympics Delegate Caitlin Cahow On Going to Russia 1 hour 35 min ago
- Politics White House Downplays Political Significance of LGBT Olympic Delegates 1 hour 42 min ago