Eight LGBT Native Americans You Should Know
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
When Santino Rice appeared as a contestant on the second season of Project Runway, he became an overnight sensation for his dramalicious villainy (and some great impersonations of mentor Tim Gunn). His racial heritage is a quintessential American hodgepodge; Rice's family is multigenerationally multiracial, and he is an amalgam of Native American, African-American, and Italian.
Rice didn't win Runway (he was the third to the last sent packing), but he became a hot commodity in the real world. He served as a judge for Miss Universe, began designing for celebrity red carpets, and became a popular guest on reality TV shows. He showed a softer side as a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race and on his own Lifetime series, On the Road With Austin and Santino, which he did with Austin Scarlett.
He'll be back on TV for the next season of RuPaul's, which premieres January 28. In the meantime, fans can always try to track down the one film in which he had a small role, 2010's queer thriller L.A. Zombie.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM