Eight LGBT Native Americans You Should Know
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
When Santino Rice appeared as a contestant on the second season of Project Runway, he became an overnight sensation for his dramalicious villainy (and some great impersonations of mentor Tim Gunn). His racial heritage is a quintessential American hodgepodge; Rice's family is multigenerationally multiracial, and he is an amalgam of Native American, African-American, and Italian.
Rice didn't win Runway (he was the third to the last sent packing), but he became a hot commodity in the real world. He served as a judge for Miss Universe, began designing for celebrity red carpets, and became a popular guest on reality TV shows. He showed a softer side as a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race and on his own Lifetime series, On the Road With Austin and Santino, which he did with Austin Scarlett.
He'll be back on TV for the next season of RuPaul's, which premieres January 28. In the meantime, fans can always try to track down the one film in which he had a small role, 2010's queer thriller L.A. Zombie.
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court 2 min 54 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 4 min 44 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 6 min 28 sec ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Berlin's Best Neighborhoods: A Primer 1 hour 12 min ago
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 1 hour 58 min ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 2 hours 4 min ago