Antigay Leaders Fear Obama's After Their Guns
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 5:18 PM ET
The religious right has found a way to insert LGBT issues into the gun control debate: A leader of the American Family Association fears that President Obama will confiscate antigay activists’ firearms.
Discussing the president’s 23 executive orders on gun regulation this week on an AFA radio show, Buster Wilson, general manager of the AFA’s radio affiliate, said, “Here’s what number four says, the attorney general can put who he wants to on the list of people who are too dangerous to get guns. What if he decides radio talk show hosts who don’t believe in gay marriage, they’re dangerous, so they shouldn’t get guns; what about pastors who preach against abortion and homosexuality, they’re too dangerous to get guns; that could happen.”
The order actually does nothing of the sort, People for the American Way points out in its Right Wing Watch blog. “Contrary to what Wilson said, the fourth executive action simply directs the attorney general to make sure that people who are already prohibited from owning a firearm do not do so, not to come up with any new categories,” the blog notes. The order’s wording is, “Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.”
Listen to Wilson’s broadcast and read more here.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Lesbian Facing Felony for Same-Sex Relationship Says Daughter's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 22 min 9 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 1 hour 5 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 18 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 31 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 31 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 33 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 44 min ago