BY Maggie Quale
January 15 2008 12:00 AM ET
we’re expert at redefining our identities. Lately, as
Kim and I have been moving closer to our baby
bliss, I’ve been contemplating how much our
parents form our identities. In the twisty road from
adolescent to adult, with all the thousands of big and
little moments piled up, how much do our parents
really shape who we are?
bubbled up when Kim and I decided to learn more about our
potential donors. We definitely wanted only donors who were
willing to be known when the child reached 18, but
beyond that, we had dozens of questions to obsess over
before we settled on our final choice. To help decide,
we purchased the long profiles and childhood photos of our
top picks. I had this idea that reading their
responses and seeing their photos would somehow act as
a seminal force that would reveal which
donor was “our donor.” No such luck.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 56 min 8 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 36 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 45 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM