Rachel Maddow Expects Margaritas to Celebrate Paul Ryan Pick
BY Lucas Grindley
August 13 2012 1:29 PM ET
Rachel Maddow says Democrats are making margaritas to celebrate Mitt Romney's selection of Paul Ryan as his running mate.
The out MSNBC anchor said during an appearance on Meet the Press unday that she talked with a Democratic fund-raiser before the Ryan pick was announced, and "I was teasing him about how much more money the Republicans are raising this year." But the fund-raiser joked, "'Yeah, basically our plan at this point is just to pray for Mitt Romney to pick Paul Ryan, and then any money that we do have we're going to spend on a margarita machine.'"
Maddow said Democrats see the Ryan pick as "the best thing that could possibly happen to their campaign." It is no longer a question for voters about whether they like the course the country is headed.
"Now the choice is, 'Well, you may not like Afghanistan or renewable energy or Solyndra or health insurance coverage for contraception or something. Fine. Do you like Medicare?'" she said on Meet the Press. "Now it is a choice. It is no longer just a referendum on Obama. And that's everything they wanted."
Maddow also pointed out that Romney already appears to be backing away from the Ryan budget plan, which replaces Medicare with what he calls "premium support" — which the Democrats call a "voucher plan." Maddow got into a back-and-forth with the conservative editor of National Review, Rich Lowry, about that point.
The Drudge Report linked to conservative websites' report about the exchange, and Maddow tweeted in response: "Ah, a Drudge link. Welcome, 3-day onslaught of ALL CAPS swearing misspelled tweets & emails informing me that I am gay."
Watch the exchange in video below, followed by her margaritas comment:
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 27 min 24 sec ago
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 1 hour 3 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM