Big Announcement Coming on Marriage Equality
BY Neal Broverman
June 04 2012 4:38 PM ET
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals will decide on Tuesday whether to grant an en banc review to antigay groups seeking to keep Proposition 8 alive in California, the American Foundation for Equal Rights reports.
The nation's most populous state narrowly passed Prop. 8, a California constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, in 2008. A federal challenge to the ban, led by AFER, has been very successful, with wins in federal district court and in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
After a three-judge panel in February agreed with Judge Vaughn Walker's 2010 decision that ruled Prop. 8 unconstitutional because it violated the equal protection clause and the due process clause of the U.S. Constitution, the proponents of Prop. 8 sought an en banc review. Such a review would require judicial evaluation by the full Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and would likely include approximately a dozen appellate judges.
Should the Ninth Circuit deny en banc review, Prop. 8 backers could appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, setting the stage for a national case on marriage equality. It's not clear if marriage would be allowed in California if an en banc review is denied — if that's the case, 23% of Americans would live in a state where marriage equality is once again guaranteed by law.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 2 hours 14 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM