Another Big Name Company Supports Marriage Equality in Washington
BY Lucas Grindley
October 11 2012 2:32 PM ET
The latest big company to support marriage equality in Washington is Nordstrom, the national high-end retailer.
The Washington-based company's president, Blake Nordstrom, sent a memo today to employees along with Pete Nordstrom, the president of merchandising, and Erik Nordstrom, president of Stores.
"It is our belief that our gay and lesbian employees are entitled to the same rights and protections marriage provides under the law as our other employees," the Nordstroms wrote. "We also believe supporting freedom to marry will help us create a more attractive and inclusive workplace for our current and prospective employees."
They conceded there are "differing opinions" on the issue, as Washington voters head to the polls in November to decide whether to uphold a marriage equality law signed earlier this year.
It is one of many Washington companies to join in supporting the bill, including Microsoft, Starbucks and Nike. Some have faced pushback from the religious right with threatened boycotts as a result.
Read the complete memo to employees, provided via the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, on the following page.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 25 min 41 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 55 min 9 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 47 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM