Oregon May Be Next to Legalize Marriage Through Voters
BY Michelle Garcia
November 13 2012 2:33 PM ET
After three successful attempts to legalize marriage by the ballot box and another success in preventing a Minnesota constitutional ban on same-sex couples marrying, Oregon may be the next state to ask voters to approve a ballot measure to establish marriage equality.
Organizers are looking for the midterm election year, 2014, as the goal date for legalizing marriage equality through a ballot initiative. Currently the state offers domestic-partnership rights to gay couples, but voters also approved a ballot initiative to constitutionally ban same-sex marriage in 2004.
Basic Rights Oregon's Jeana Frazzini told the Religion New Service this week that Washington, Maine, and Maryland have set the stage for other progressive states to leave the decision up to voters.
"I am more confident than ever that we will be the first state to overturn a constitutional ban on marriage," she said.
There was speculation that Basic Rights Oregon would put marriage up to a vote in 2012, but it was later discovered that the organization was planning to wait until 2014 to make such a decision.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 13 min 56 sec ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 2 hours 23 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM