Rep. Introduces Ex-Gay Friend to Bolster Antimarriage Stance
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 4:17 PM ET
As the Minnesota Legislature begins debating a marriage equality bill this week, Republican Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen introduced his friend, Kevin Petersen, as evidence that being gay is not innate, but a lifestyle that can be rejected or prayed away.
"He was active in the gay lifestyle for about 10 years. And then he left it, got married and he now has three children," Gruenhagen said.
He and the friend, Kevin Petersen, established the Pro-Marriage Amendment Forum two years ago to head a campaign urging Minnesotans to ban marriage equality, according to the Pioneer Press. Their efforts were defeated in November, when voters rejected the constitutional ban.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure
- Op-ed: 5 Reasons Men's Health Needs a Trans Man On The Cover
- 14 Gloriously Hilarious Rihanna Met Gala Gown Memes