Rep. Introduces Ex-Gay Friend to Bolster Antimarriage Stance
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 3:17 PM ET
As the Minnesota Legislature begins debating a marriage equality bill this week, Republican Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen introduced his friend, Kevin Petersen, as evidence that being gay is not innate, but a lifestyle that can be rejected or prayed away.
"He was active in the gay lifestyle for about 10 years. And then he left it, got married and he now has three children," Gruenhagen said.
He and the friend, Kevin Petersen, established the Pro-Marriage Amendment Forum two years ago to head a campaign urging Minnesotans to ban marriage equality, according to the Pioneer Press. Their efforts were defeated in November, when voters rejected the constitutional ban.
- Artist Spotlight: Carlos Barahona Possollo
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: George Takei Parodies TLC's My Husband’s Not Gay
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Skewers Bobby Jindal Prayer Rally
- Alabama Probate Judges Association: We 'Cannot Legally' Issue Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples
- Madonna's 12 Studio Albums Ranked