Rep. Introduces Ex-Gay Friend to Bolster Antimarriage Stance
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 3:17 PM ET
As the Minnesota Legislature begins debating a marriage equality bill this week, Republican Rep. Glenn Gruenhagen introduced his friend, Kevin Petersen, as evidence that being gay is not innate, but a lifestyle that can be rejected or prayed away.
"He was active in the gay lifestyle for about 10 years. And then he left it, got married and he now has three children," Gruenhagen said.
He and the friend, Kevin Petersen, established the Pro-Marriage Amendment Forum two years ago to head a campaign urging Minnesotans to ban marriage equality, according to the Pioneer Press. Their efforts were defeated in November, when voters rejected the constitutional ban.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role