Dan Savage Takes NOM's Brian Brown to Task at Dinner Table Debate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 22 2012 4:08 PM ET
The debate — sparked by comments Savage made to a high school journalism conference saying, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people,"— is embedded, unedited, below.
Savage drew ire from Brown and other conservative pundits when he told a high school journalism conference in April, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people, the same way we have learned to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery…"
When some two dozen students walked out in protest, Savage called them "pansy-assed."
That was enough for Brown to challenge Savage to a debate. On NOMBlog, Brown wrote, "Let me lay down a public challenge to Dan Savage right here and now: You want to savage the Bible? Christian morality? Traditional marriage? Pope Benedict? I'm here, you name the time and the place and let's see what a big man you are in a debate with someone who can talk back. It's easy to make high-school girls cry by picking on them. Let's pick on someone our own size!"
Savage did indeed name a place — his dining room table — and invited Brown and his wife and children to join Savage; his husband, Terry Miller; and their son for dinner and an after-dinner debate.
While Brown accepted the invitation, neither his wife nor children were in attendance. The hour-long debate took place in Savage's Seattle home last Thursday — the same day that a security guard was shot and wounded at the Washington, D.C., office of the Family Research Council, another antigay Christian organization that often partners with NOM. Floyd Lee Corkins II is accused of the crime.
Mark Oppenheimer of The New York Times sat in as moderator, and both Savage and Brown had camera crews present. The video was posted to YouTube this morning.
Click to the next page for choice quotes from the hour-long conversation.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying?
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM