WATCH: Disney PSA of Boy With Two Moms Incites Right-Wing Outrage
BY Trudy Ring
January 01 2013 3:43 PM ET
A video in the Disney Channel’s “Make Your Mark” public service campaign has drawn the wrath of a conservative media watchdog group because it features a teenager with lesbian parents.
In the spot, a 14-year-old named Ben introduces viewers to his world, which includes “my moms,” with a brief clip of two women, then goes on to tell how he made a film denouncing bullying.
The offhand mention of his two mothers was too much the right-wing Media Research Center, which touts its mission as “exposing and combating liberal media bias.” In a post on the center’s NewsBusters blog, director of media analysis Tim Graham notes a gay blogger’s praise for the spot and asserts that “activists want Disney to lead the way toward ‘LGBT’ acceptance among the grade-school set.”
Mediaite blogger Andrew Kirell takes Graham to task for being so upset about this “teeny tiny snippet of information at 12 seconds into the video.”
“In the mind of the likes of Graham and his boss Brent Bozell (who has his own record with ‘the gays’),” Kirell writes, “by not hiding the cold hard fact that little Ben was raised by a lesbian couple, Disney Channel is now complicit in ‘normalizing’ ‘the gays’ and indoctrinating school-aged kids into believing that Ben’s ‘two moms’ (Graham’s scare-quotes) is an acceptable thing not worthy of endless scorn and shame.”
Watch the video below.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 30 min 32 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 31 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 2 hours 32 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM