WATCH: Disney PSA of Boy With Two Moms Incites Right-Wing Outrage
BY Trudy Ring
January 01 2013 4:43 PM ET
A video in the Disney Channel’s “Make Your Mark” public service campaign has drawn the wrath of a conservative media watchdog group because it features a teenager with lesbian parents.
In the spot, a 14-year-old named Ben introduces viewers to his world, which includes “my moms,” with a brief clip of two women, then goes on to tell how he made a film denouncing bullying.
The offhand mention of his two mothers was too much the right-wing Media Research Center, which touts its mission as “exposing and combating liberal media bias.” In a post on the center’s NewsBusters blog, director of media analysis Tim Graham notes a gay blogger’s praise for the spot and asserts that “activists want Disney to lead the way toward ‘LGBT’ acceptance among the grade-school set.”
Mediaite blogger Andrew Kirell takes Graham to task for being so upset about this “teeny tiny snippet of information at 12 seconds into the video.”
“In the mind of the likes of Graham and his boss Brent Bozell (who has his own record with ‘the gays’),” Kirell writes, “by not hiding the cold hard fact that little Ben was raised by a lesbian couple, Disney Channel is now complicit in ‘normalizing’ ‘the gays’ and indoctrinating school-aged kids into believing that Ben’s ‘two moms’ (Graham’s scare-quotes) is an acceptable thing not worthy of endless scorn and shame.”
Watch the video below.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Boy Scouts Timeline
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM