Another Bill Reintroduced To Protect Antigay Service Members
BY Michelle Garcia
March 05 2013 2:24 PM ET
A bill was introduced to the Republican-majority House of Representatives that would grant protections for members of the military who express their antigay views. It would also prohibit same-sex couples from having wedding ceremonies at military facilities.
Kansas Republican Tim Huelskamp introduced the Military Religious Freedom Protection Act on Thursday, according to the Washington Blade. Under this proposed policy, service members and military chaplains would not be disciplined for expressing antigay religious beliefs or thoughts on human sexuality. That includes allowing chaplains to decide whether they are comfortable with performing marriage ceremonies. His bill would also bar gay and lesbian couples from marrying on military bases or other facilities.
Huelskamp introduced the bill last year as well. According to the Blade, Huelskamp has spoken out against LGBT workers' rights, and said that most Americans are against the "radical" idea of employers adding workplace protections for LGBT employees.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Rising Above the Down Low
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 2 hours 5 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM