Minn. Politician Who Hooked Up With Teen Drops Out of Race
BY Neal Broverman
August 23 2012 4:48 PM ET
Kerry Gauthier is not seeking reelection to the Minnesota legislature after news broke that he hooked up with a 17-year-old boy at a rest stop, leading the politician to attempt suicide, and later come out.
Prominent Democrats pressured Gauthier, representing the Duluth area in the state house since 2011, to not seek reelection in January. The media recently caught wind that the 56-year-old solicited "no strings attached" sex on Craig's List with a 17-year-old, who he had oral sex with at a rest stop. Initially, Gauthier refused to drop out of the race, but finally succumbed to the pressure.
According to the Huffington Post, Gauthier was hospitalized last week after a suicide attempt involving an overdose of muscle relaxants. He said his refusal to accept his sexual orientation led to his rest stop hook-up.
"I can change my behavior, but I cannot change the fact that I am a gay man, and have known this since my college days," Gauthier was quoted as saying. "I simply must act like a mature gay man would act, and not as the incident portrays me."
It doesn't appear the politician will resign. Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM