WATCH: Pro-Equality Judges Need Plumbing Lessons, Says Louie Gohmert
BY Trudy Ring
January 16 2014 7:35 PM ET
Texas congressman Louie Gohmert added to his record of outrageous and bizarre antigay remarks Wednesday, when he said that judges who rule in favor of marriage equality “need some basic plumbing lessons.”
Gohmert made the comment at “Conversations With Conservatives,” a monthly event hosted by the Heritage Foundation, a right-wing think tank based in Washington, D.C., for conservative politicians to meet with the media. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota was there to get some shots in at marriage equality as well.
When asked about recent court rulings striking down barriers to same-sex marriage, Gohmert said the judges’ attitude seems to be “basically, we haven’t seen any biological evidence to support marriage being between a man and a woman.”
“They need some basic plumbing lessons,” he said of such judges. “For one omnipotent, omniscious, ubiquitous federal judge who is wise beyond his education to say — to make such a declaration about the law, I think, requires revisiting by each state and compliance with the U.S. Supreme Court.”
Bachmann denounced President Obama for his decision not to defend the Defense of Marriage Act, a key portion of which was struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court last summer. “The legacy of Barack Obama will be of the establishment of lawlessness in the United States,” she said.
She also likened Obama and pro–marriage equality judges to ousted Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi, “who all of the sudden declared that his edicts were not appealable to a court.”
Watch a clip of Gohmert, Bachmann, and Rep. Steve King of Iowa at the forum, courtesy of The Raw Story.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 17 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 33 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 51 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 54 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 23 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM