Rep. Salmon's Gay Son Struggled With Reparative Therapy
BY Michelle Garcia
April 09 2013 2:33 PM ET
The son of Republican Rep. Matt Salmon said he struggled with his sexual orientation for decades, and even underwent reparative therapy, before telling his parents that he just wanted to live his life as a gay man.
Salmon shared his struggles with reparative therapy, and his decision to vote in favor of a statewide marriage ban at age 18, while he was still reconciling his own sexual orientation. Eventually he told his father that he would drop therapy, and explained that he wanted the same relationship his parents had, but with a man instead of a woman. These days, he said, he and his father are very close.
"My father and I have a great relationship," he said on the local show, Sunday Square Off. "He's one of my close friends, we talk about all sorts of things, and we give each other advice."
Salmon also said he does not see his father as being antigay because of his lack of support on marriage equality, despite having an openly gay son.
"It's hard for me to see that people will jump to the conclusion that he's antigay or a bigot. My father is not a bigot at all."
The younger Salmon told KPNX News in Phoenix that he was in talks to appear on both The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC and Piers Morgan Live on CNN. However, MSNBC has refuted the claim, stating that a producer spoke with Salmon, but he was never booked for the show. According to Buzzfeed, a source close to the Piers Morgan show said Salmon's account was not accurate.
Watch the full interview below:
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 19 min 22 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 20 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM