Denver Police Announces Nation's Most Progressive Trans Policies
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
June 24 2012 11:47 AM ET
The GLBT Community Center of Colorado recently announced that the Denver, Colorado, Sheriff's Department has issued new policies about how they'll be dealing with transgender inmates. The Center’s transgender programs coordinator Courtney Gray. LGBTQNation.com, the new policy will change everything from "transport to booking and housing" making it the most progessive policy in the nation.
“The end goal was always safety for all inmate," said Gray. "We want to make sure transgender individuals are able to serve out their sentence without further harm. We also want to make sure the system honors their identity.”
Among the policy changes include allowing trans inmates to use their preferred name and pronoun, choose the gender of the person who searches them, and incorporates trans inmates into work release, classes, and other group activities, according to LGBTQNation. There will now be a transgender review board with a LGBT community advocate who can help staff determine where the inmate should be placed as well.
The new policies go into place in January.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 26 min 50 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 26 min 58 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 7 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 2 hours 44 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 54 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM